L.A. Arts Month officially kicks off today and the city is celebrating the area's visual and performing arts! According to the LA Times, "one in every six people in the L.A. region is employed in a creative field." That can mean anything from being anywhere on the totem pole of a big blockbuster picture, working at a museum or arts non-profit **ahem**, or just being a self- employed artist. Be artsy and get your dose of it this month.
To make things easier, here's a handful to fill your calendar during the month of January:
- Jan 9th>>>Into Polaroids? They're going extinct these days but behold a party to celebrate the vanishing, beloved photos. ISM, a community project is celebrating instant film with one special night featuring a gallery exhibition with music. Event happens 7p-11p @ Bergamot Station, 2525 Michigan Ave T5, Santa Monica. More info here.
- Jan 14>>> Hit up the Downtown LA Artwalk! Walk the festive downtown streets every 2nd Thursday on the month. Check out the galleries and street artists, wandering musical groups, and stuff your face with eats from the mobile food caravan. Top off the evening with a night cap concoction from the Association, The Varnish, or Pete's Café.
- Jan 26th>>>Catch a free screening of American Splendor & the Confession of Robert Crumb at the Hammer Museum. Tickets required for free event. Parking available under the museum for $3 after 6:00.
- Jan 19-23>>>Catch some lively Brazilian street dance by Grupo de Rua at the RedCat starting Jan 19-23. Tickets are $25 and $20 with valid student ID.
- Jan 21-24>>> LA Art Show at the Convention Center. If you feel like dressing and have some spare change, go above and beyond the rest of us and get tickets to the opening Gala Night on Jan 20th. Portion of those proceeds go to Inner City Arts. Wow, Muffy & Buffy, that makes this a two-fer!
- Visit MOCA on Grand on a Thursday night!
Admission to MOCA Grand Avenue is free every Thursday, 5–8pm, courtesy of Wells Fargo.
- Visit the Getty. It's free! When was the last time you were there?
If at all you can't make it out to anything artsy this month, you can always support your favorite arts organization. **nudge, wink, cough, donate**
Happy Arts Month, Angelenos.